Crime Attorney Orlando: Valid Driver’s License
- CRIMINAL: Can you be charged criminally simply for driving a vehicle without a valid driver’s license? The answer is YES. There are multiple criminal charges that stem from driving a car while not having a valid driver’s license.
- EXAMPLES: Examples of criminal offenses:
- Driving w/ A Suspended Driver’s License (DWLS): If you driving license is suspended and you continue to drive without it, you can be ARRESTED, and charged with a criminal offense of Driving with a suspended license. Penalties can be rough, upwards of a year in jail, or even more if your license has been habitually suspended.
- No-Valid Driver’s License: If you never obtained a valid driver’s license and you are caught driving, the consequences are less than Driving with a Suspended License. However, max penalties still include jail time and probation. Neither is to be taken for granted.
- HABITUALIZED: How does a driver’s license become habitually suspended for a 5 year period?
- If you pick up 3 qualifying offenses within a 5 year period your license can be suspended for 5 years!
- Offenses that count toward the habitual suspension include even non-criminal infractions like driving with a suspended license without knowledge.
- Here are some of the offenses that can habitualize you:
- DWLS (with Knowledge)
- DWLS (without Knowledge)
- DUI (Alcohol)
- DUI (Drugs)
- Pick up a combination of three of those within a 5 year period and your license can be suspended for 5 years.
- Call a Crime Attorney Orlando to find out other ways to protect your license from being suspended.
- DEFENSES: Defenses for not having a valid driver’s license
- There are ways to avoid strikes toward a habitualized DL.
- For example, if you resolve a case with a No-Valid DL you will not receive a strike toward the three offenses.
- Other examples include Failure to Display, which is a traffic infraction and does not count toward habitualization.
If you are concerned about your Driver’s License, talk to a Crime Attorney Orlando. 407-930-8912. Experienced Representation you can count on.