Shoplifting Defense Lawyer in Lakeland, FL
Ensuring Your Legal Rights
Shoplifting Defense Lawyer Lakeland, FL
If you’ve been accused of shoplifting or petit theft in Lakeland, FL, you understand the stress and fear of facing criminal charges. Don’t despair; you’re not alone in this.
The first step towards your defense is understanding your situation and the complexities of the law. At Smith & Eulo, we specialize in shoplifting/petit theft defense, providing a dedicated defense lawyer who will stand by your side in this challenging time.
We’ll discuss Florida’s shoplifting/petit theft laws, the role of a defense lawyer, and the importance of hiring a specialized attorney for your case. Continue reading to learn how we can help you fight your charges and protect your rights.
Understanding Shoplifting/Petit Theft Laws in Lakeland, FL
Shoplifting, or petit theft, is stealing merchandise from a store without paying for it. Merchandise refers to any tangible personal property that can be physically delivered, exhibited, possessed, or made available for retail purchase by a merchant.
In Florida, theft occurs when an individual knowingly obtains or uses someone else’s property to either temporarily or permanently deprive the owner of their right to the property or its benefits. Additionally, theft involves appropriating the property for one’s use or for the use of someone who is not entitled to it.
The value of the stolen property determines whether a crime is classified as petit or grand theft. Petit theft refers to stealing property valued at over $100 but less than $750, whereas grand theft encompasses higher amounts.
The value refers to the price at which the merchandise was sold or removed, thus depriving the owner of their legal right to ownership and sale of the item. The cost of replacing the item does not determine the amount.
Contact Us Today!
Potential Consequences and Penalties for Shoplifting/Petit Theft
In Florida, being convicted of shoplifting or petit theft carries serious consequences and penalties that can significantly impact your life. The following points will detail the potential repercussions you could face if found guilty:
- If the stolen merchandise is valued at less than $100, there is a possibility of facing charges for second-degree petit theft, which is considered a misdemeanor. It carries a maximum penalty of up to 60 days in jail and/or a fine of up to $500.
- If the stolen goods are valued between $101 and $300, you may face a charge of first-degree petit theft. The penalties for this offense include a maximum of one year in county jail, one year of probation, and/or a fine of $1,000.
- If you have a prior conviction for theft, the second-degree misdemeanor charge will be elevated to a first-degree misdemeanor charge.
- If you have a history of being charged with two or more theft offenses, the charge will be escalated to a third-degree felony charge.
These consequences are serious and can have a lasting impact on your personal and professional life. It’s essential to have a strong shoplifting/petit theft defense in Lakeland, FL, to minimize or avoid these penalties altogether.
Choosing the Right Shoplifting/Petit Theft Defense Attorney in Lakeland, FL
Before you decide on a Lakeland, FL, shoplifting/petit theft defense lawyer, it’s essential to understand the role they play in your case. The primary responsibility of a defense attorney is to represent and defend their client in court. They will analyze the evidence against you, investigate the circumstances of your arrest, and build a strong defense strategy.
Here are some qualities to look for when choosing a shoplifting/petit theft defense lawyer in Lakeland, FL:
- Experience: Look for an attorney with experience handling similar cases and a track record of success. The defense for shoplifting/petit theft in Lakeland, FL, requires specialized knowledge of the laws and court procedures.
- Knowledge of Florida Law: Having an attorney well-versed in your case’s specific laws and statutes is crucial. They can identify any potential defenses and use them to your advantage.
- Communication: Your lawyer should keep you informed and involved throughout the legal process. They should be responsive to your questions and concerns and update you on any developments in your case.
- Dedication: Your defense attorney should be dedicated to protecting your rights and fighting for your best interests. They should be willing to go the extra mile and exhaust all possible avenues to achieve a positive outcome for your case.
Remember to question and thoroughly research before deciding who will represent you in court. This choice could have a significant impact on the outcome of your case.
How Smith & Eulo Can Help as Your Criminal Defense Lawyer
Navigating the complexities of shoplifting and petit theft charges requires more than just legal expertise; it demands a defense attorney specializing in these cases. Here’s how Smith & Eulo stands out in assisting your criminal defense lawyer:
- Proven Track Record: Our firm boasts a proven track record of successfully handling shoplifting and petit theft cases in Lakeland, FL. We have consistently achieved favorable client outcomes, and our results speak volumes about our capabilities.
- Customized Legal Strategies: Recognizing the unique aspects of each case, our attorneys craft customized legal strategies tailored to your specific circumstances. This personalized approach ensures that your defense is comprehensive and effective.
- Thorough Case Analysis: Smith & Eulo thoroughly analyzes the evidence against you and the circumstances surrounding your arrest. This meticulous examination allows us to identify weaknesses in the prosecution’s case and build a strong defense on your behalf.
- Strategic Negotiation Skills: In many cases, negotiations are crucial in securing a favorable outcome. Our attorneys possess exceptional negotiation skills, enabling us to explore alternative resolutions and pursue the best possible arrangement for your situation.
- Courtroom Excellence: Should your case proceed to trial, our attorneys exhibit courtroom excellence. We are adept at presenting compelling arguments, cross-examining witnesses, and leveraging legal precedents to strengthen your defense in the courtroom.
Take Action: Secure Your Future with Smith & Eulo
Facing shoplifting or petit theft charges can be daunting, given the potential penalties and long-term consequences. However, you can effectively tackle these charges with the right legal representation. At Smith & Eulo, we are dedicated to providing the best possible defense for our clients accused of shoplifting or petit theft in Lakeland, FL.
If you need a shoplifting/petit theft defense attorney in Lakeland, FL, don’t hesitate to contact us. Your future is important, and it is our mission to protect it. Let us help you navigate the complexities of your case, fight for your rights, and work towards a positive outcome.