Shoplifting Lawyer in Miami, FL
Have you or a loved one been arrested in Miami, FL for shoplifting or petit theft? Don’t worry you have landed on the right place. Our criminal defense lawyers have over 20 years of experience successfully litigating criminal cases across the state of Florida and Dade County, call us today for your free consultation, we also offer payment plans.
What is Shoplifting?
In a nutshell, shoplifting is taking someone’s property without their consent, depriving them of the use or completely taking it away from them. In the judicial system it is known as Petit Theft, and in the State of Florida Petit Theft is any property valued below $750; however, the punishment varies depending on the value of the property that was stolen, as follows:
- First Degree Misdemeanor or Petit Theft of the First Degree: Property stolen valued between $100 and $750, however, if the property is taken from a dwelling, the charge becomes Grand Theft of the third-degree, punishable as a third-degree felony
- Please note that a person who commits petit theft and has previously been convicted with any kind of theft, can be charged with a First-Degree Misdemeanor, and be punished as such
- Second Degree Misdemeanor or Petit Theft of the Second Degree: Theft of any property that can be less than $100
- Third Degree Felony: When a person commits petit theft, but has also been convicted two or more times of petit theft previously
What are the Penalties for Petit Theft?
- First Degree Misdemeanor: Up-to one year of time behind bars and a fine of up-to $1000
- Second Degree Misdemeanor: Up-to- sixty days of time in jail and a fine of up-to $500
- Third Degree Felony: Up-to 5 years in prison and a fine of up-to $5,000
It is also important to note that in the State of Florida and of course in Miami and Dade County, one of the punishments for being convicted of petit theft is the suspension of the driver’s license for up to six months for a first-time offender. For a second-time offender, the period of the driver’s license suspension could be of up-to one year.
Why Is It Important to Hire a Criminal Defense Lawyer for Shoplifting or Petit Theft?
The Judicial System in Dade County and the State of Florida is complex, and it’s in the defendant’s best interest to hire an experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer who understands the ins-and-outs of the local court system, to help craft a defense strategy suited to each individual situation. Our Criminal Defense Attorneys have over 20 years of combined experience successfully litigating criminal cases in Miami and across the state of Florida. We offer free initial consultation and payment plans. Give us a call today to schedule an appointment with one of our experienced attorneys.
In addition to our Miami location, we also have offices in: