Possession of Marijuana Defense Lawyer in Jacksonville, FL
Ensuring Your Legal Rights
Possession of Marijuana Defense Lawyer in Jacksonville, FL
Are you facing charges for Possession of Marijuana in Jacksonville, FL? It can be a daunting experience, but remember, it’s a situation you don’t have to face alone. Hiring a dependable defense lawyer specializing in marijuana possession cases in Jacksonville, FL, can make a real difference in how your legal proceedings unfold.
At Smith & Eulo, we are committed to providing a robust defense for our clients, ensuring their rights are protected every step of the way. We will explore the marijuana laws in Jacksonville, FL, and how we can help you fight against possession charges. Read to learn more about possession of marijuana defense in Jacksonville, FL.
Understanding Marijuana Laws in Jacksonville, FL
Although other states have explored the legalization and decriminalization of marijuana, in Florida, it is still illegal unless used for medicinal purposes. According to Florida law, it is unlawful to possess any amount of marijuana for recreational use.
In 2016, a constitutional amendment known as the “Florida Medical Marijuana Legalization Initiative” was passed by voters. This amendment allows individuals diagnosed with specific debilitating illnesses or comparable conditions, as determined by a licensed state physician, to utilize medical marijuana.
Possessing small amounts of marijuana is considered a misdemeanor, with possession of less than 20 grams being the threshold. While drug diversion programs may be an option for first-time offenders without a criminal record, it’s important to note that it is still considered a criminal offense.
Moreover, state marijuana laws can vary from one state to another, and this also applies to drug laws in general. If you have a Florida driver’s license, you could be suspended for convictions related to marijuana, even if they are not connected to driving.
Contact Us Today!
Penalties for Possession of Marijuana
Florida law takes marijuana possession offenses seriously, with penalties varying depending on the amount of marijuana involved. Let’s delve into the potential consequences you may face for possession of marijuana in Jacksonville, FL:
- Possessing less than 20 grams is considered a first-degree misdemeanor, carrying a potential penalty of up to one year of imprisonment and a maximum fine of $1,000.
- If you have over 20 grams but less than 25 pounds of possession or fewer than 300 plants, you could face up to 5 years in prison and a maximum fine of $5,000.
- Having more than 25 pounds and up to 2,000 pounds of cannabis is considered a felony, leading to a mandatory minimum sentence of 3 years and a maximum sentence of 15 years. In addition, there is a maximum fine of $25,000.
- Having 10,000 pounds or more of cannabis is considered a serious offense, carrying a mandatory minimum prison sentence of 15 years and a maximum sentence of 30 years. Additionally, there is a maximum fine of $200,000.
With these potential penalties looming, it is crucial to seek legal representation from a knowledgeable defense lawyer for possession of marijuana in Jacksonville, FL. Do not hesitate to contact a trusted defense lawyer to help you navigate the legal system and fight for your rights.
How a Defense Attorney for Possession of Marijuana in Jacksonville, FL, Can Help
When you find yourself facing charges for the possession of marijuana in Jacksonville, FL, it’s natural to feel anxious and uncertain about what lies ahead. The good news is that having a seasoned criminal defense attorney by your side can provide a significant advantage in this challenging situation.
Here’s a look at how a defense attorney can make a real difference:
- Understanding the Laws: Marijuana laws can be complex and subject to change. Your defense attorney will deeply understand the relevant laws in Florida and Jacksonville, ensuring you know the specific regulations that apply to your case.
- Evaluating the Evidence: Your attorney will meticulously review the evidence against you. This includes how the marijuana was discovered, whether the search was legal, and if your rights were violated during the process. Any weaknesses in the prosecution’s case can be identified and exploited to your advantage.
- Building a Strong Defense: Your attorney will construct a robust defense strategy tailored to your unique situation. This may involve challenging the credibility of witnesses, presenting evidence in your favor, or demonstrating that you did not know about the marijuana in question.
- Providing Legal Guidance: Facing legal charges can be a confusing and stressful experience. A defense attorney will provide you with valuable legal guidance, explaining your rights, potential consequences, and the steps you should take throughout the legal process.
- Protecting Your Future: Perhaps the most crucial role of a defense attorney is to protect your future. They will work diligently to minimize the impact of these charges on your life, striving for the best possible outcome, whether that means reduced penalties, dismissal of charges, or an alternative resolution.
Building Your Defense Strategy with a Lawyer in Jacksonville, FL
Building a strong defense strategy in possession of marijuana cases often hinges on your case’s specific circumstances. For instance, one possible defense could be that you were in possession of CBD, not marijuana. CBD is a legal substance derived from the hemp plant that contains minimal amounts of THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana.
However, it can sometimes be confused with marijuana due to its similar appearance and scent. If you can prove that what you had was CBD rather than marijuana, this could lead to the dismissal of your charges. Another possible defense is challenging the legality of the search that led to the discovery of the marijuana.
If law enforcement did not have a valid reason to search your person or property or failed to obtain a necessary search warrant, any evidence obtained through that search could be deemed inadmissible in court. It is imperative to work with a Jacksonville, FL, defense lawyer for possession of marijuana to explore and establish the best defense strategy in your case.
Secure Your Freedom with a Defense Attorney
Facing charges for possession of marijuana can be a daunting experience, but remember, you are not alone in this battle. Having a dedicated, experienced defense attorney for possession of marijuana in Jacksonville, FL, by your side can significantly influence the outcome of your case.
You will gain a legal supporter and a fighter who will champion your rights, strive for justice, and work tirelessly to ensure the best possible outcome. At Smith & Eulo, we will stand by you through every step, simplifying the complexities of the legal processes and building a robust defense strategy tailored to your case. Contact us today for a consultation.